I am a Registered Psychologist with Newfoundland and Labrador Psychology Board. I completed a Master of Education program in Counselling Psychology at Memorial University in 2002. Prior to working on the island, I began my career post graduate studies in Nain, Labrador, as Regional Psychologist with Labrador Inuit Health Commission, today known as the Nunatsiavut Government. This proved to be a very challenging and extremely rewarding experience which remains dear to me. This experience has served early in my career, to ignite a passion and commitment to work with marginalized groups, and the protection and promotion of language and culture rights. I have also occupied the positions of Clinical Psychologist with Humberwood Treatment Centre, at the time our province's only inpatient treatment facility for addictions, and lastly, as Addictions Counsellor with Mental Health and Addictions with Eastern Health.
I have been in private practice since 2006. I have a deep passion for work with individuals experiencing mental health concerns, including extensive experience in working with individuals who are Deaf or Hard of Hearing, and provide sessions in ASL when needed. The interest in this group deepened as a result of having a family member who is Deaf. This passion continued in my work at the Newfoundland School for the Deaf as dorm counsellor, followed by internship placements at Canadian Hearing Society in Toronto.
In addition to my private practice, I am Director of the Wellness Program and psychologist with NL Association of the Deaf (NLAD). My work there includes workshops and therapy groups, along with individual, family and group counselling, consulting and workshops with this population. Most recently, we have been successful in our partnerships with various stakeholders and government departments in the development and delivery of ground breaking provincial programs and services for our Newfoundland and Labrador Deaf community.
Additional areas of interest include:
Assessment and treatment for the following :
- individuals/families engaged with third party reproduction planning
- individuals with exceptionalities
- individuals who are Deaf, individuals who are hard of hearing
- multicultural counselling
- concurrent disorders and addictions
- depression, anxiety, grief, adjustment to life changes
- post traumatic stress disorder (as a result of many different experiences, including Military and first responder experience , referrals from self, Veterans Affairs, Department of National Defense), stress management, spiritual enhancement and mindfulness.
- I have been the consultant psychologist at NL Balance and Dizziness Centre, and have developed and delivered treatment planning with those experiencing Post Concussion Disorder and/or traumatic brain injuries.
Types of services:
Individual, family, couples, group therapy services are available. Consultation services are also provided.Telepsychology is available to clients, when requested, and in keeping with best practices and guidelines.